Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Scheef, A., & Mahfouz, J. (2020). Supporting the post-school goals of youth with disabilities through use of a transition coordinator. Research in Educational Administration and Leadership,5(1), 43-69. DOI:10.30828/real/2020.1.2
- Mahfouz, J., & Anthony-Stevens, V. (2020). Why trouble SEL? The need for cultural relevance in SEL. Bank Street Occasional Paper Series, 43, 1-14. Retrieved from https://educate.bankstreet.edu/occasional-paperseries/vol2020/iss43/6
- Mahfouz, J., El-Mehtar, N., Osman, E., Kotok, S. (2020). Challenges and agency: Principals responding to the Syrian refugee crisis in Lebanese public schools. International Journal of Leadership in Education, 23(1), 24- 40. org/10.1080/13603124.2019.1613570
- Mahfouz, J. (2020). Principals and stress: Few coping strategies for abundant stressors. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, ,48(3), 440-458.doi.org/10.1177/1741143218817562.
- Karami, R., Mahfouz, J., & Mansour, S. (2019). Sustaining school-based improvement: Considering emotional responses to change. Journal of Educational Administration, 57(1), 50 – 67. 1108/JEA-01-2018-0022.
- Levitan, J., Mahfouz, J., & Schussler, D. (2018). Pragmatic identity analysis as a qualitative interview technique. Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 19(3), 1-22. DOI:10.17169/fqs-19.3.3032
- Mahfouz, J., Sausner, E. B., & Kornhaber, M. L. (2018). S. international schools overseas and the common core. International Journal of Leadership in Education, 22 (4), 406 – 420. doi.org/10.1080/13603124.2018.1481529
- Mahfouz, J. (2018). Mindfulness training for school administrators: Effects on well-being and leadership. Journal of Educational Administration, 56 (6), 602-619. https://doi.org/10.1108/JEA-12-2017-0171
- Mahfouz, J., Levitan, J., Schussler, D., Broderick, T., Dvorakova, K., Argusti, M., & Greenberg, M. (2018). Ensuring college student success through mindfulness-based classes: Just BREATHE. College Student Affairs Journal, 36 (1), 1-16. DOI:1353/csj.2018.0000
- Broderick, P., Frank, J., Barrena, E., Schussler, D., Kohler, K., Mitra, J., Khan, L., Levitan, J., Mahfouz, J., Shields, L., Greenberg, M. (April 2018). Evaluating the quality of mindfulness instruction delivered in school settings: Development and validation of a teacher quality observational rating scale. Mindfulness, 10 (1), 36- 45. DOI: 10.1007/s12671-018-0944-x
- Mahfouz, J., Barkauskas, N., Sausner, E., & Kornhaber, M. (2017). Leadership roles of administrators under the common core reform. Education and Urban Society, 50(9), 793 – 817. DOI: 10.1177/0013124517714309
- Schussler, D.L., Frank, J., Lee, T.K., & Mahfouz, J. (2017). Using virtual role-play to enhance teacher candidates’ skills in responding to bullying. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 25(1), 91-120.
- Kornhaber, M.L., Barkauskas, N., Griffith, K., Sausner, E., & Mahfouz, J. (2017). The common core’s promises and pitfalls per policy entrepreneurs and ground-level actors. Journal of Educational Change, 8(14), 385 – 412. org/10.1007/s10833-017-9306-z
- Smith, W. C., Fraser, P., Chykina, V., Ikoma, S., Levitan, J., Liu, J., & Mahfouz, J. (2016). Global citizenship and the importance of education in a globally integrated world. Globalisation, Societies and Education,15(5), 648 – 665. https://doi.org/10.1080/14767724.2016.1222896
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles in Preparation
- Anthony-Stevens, V., Mahfouz, J., & Bisbee, Y. (submitted). Indigenous teacher education is tribal nation building: Stories of capacity building and capacity strengthening in Idaho. Journal of School Leadership.
- Katz, D., Mahfouz, J., & Romas, S. (submitted). Creating a foundation for teachers and better futures for students: The need for SEL curriculum in teacher education programs. Northwest Journal of Teacher Education.
- Arar, K., Örücü, D., & Mahfouz, J. (under review). A cross-cultural comparison of Syrian refugee education across Turkey, Lebanon, and Germany. Journal of Leadership and Policy in Schools.
- Mahfouz, J., Levitan, J., Schussler, D.L., Oh, Y., Frank, J., & Greenberg, M.T. (submitted). Mixed methods paradigms for research on mindfulness in schools. Journal of Mixed Methods Research.
- Mahfouz, J., Greenberg, M.T., Weissberg, R.P., Kim, C., & Turksma, C. (submitted). The prosocial school leader: Theory, research, and action. Teachers College Record.
- Richardson, J., & Mahfouz, J. (accepted). At the crossroads: Well-being and principalship preparation. Journal of Research on Leadership Education.
- Schussler, D., Oh, Y., Mahfouz, J., Levitan, J., Frank, J., Broderick, P., Mitra, J., Greenberg, M. (revise and resubmit). Learning to manage stress: Combining qualitative and quantitative data to understand adolescents’ experiences in a mindfulness-based intervention.
- Frank, J.L., Broderick, P.C., Oh, Y., Mitra, J., Kohler, K., Schussler, D.L., Geier, C., Roeser, R. W., Berrena, E., Mahfouz, J., Levitan, J., Greenberg, M.T. (revise and resubmit). The effectiveness of a teacher delivered mindfulness-based curriculum on adolescent social-emotional and executive functioning. Mindfulness.
- Mahfouz, J. (accepted). The Need to Draw Attention to Principals’ SEL—An Opinion Piece. Management in Education.
- Hayes, S. & Mahfouz, J. (under review). Educational Leadership and Mentoring: A Review of Perspectives, Evidence, and Literature 1999 – 2019. Research in Educational Administration and Leadership.
Guest Co-Editor for Special Issues of Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Pollock, K., Wang, F., & Mahfouz, J. (Eds.) (2020). School administrators’ wellbeing and mindfulness [Special issue]. Journal of Educational Administration.
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters
- Arar, K., Örücü, D., & Mahfouz, J. (submitted). Social in/justice and double marginality in educational leadership: Trajectories of three female school principals from the Middle East. In Showunmi, V., Moorosi, P., Shakeshaft, C., & Oplatka, I. (Eds.), The Handbook for Gender and Educational Leadership. London, UK: Bloomsbury.
- Mahfouz, J. & Schussler, D.L. (accepted). The indispensable principal. In Cherkowski, S., Kutsyuruba, B., & Walker, K. (Eds.), Positive Leadership for Flourishing Schools.
- Mahfouz, J. (2020). Neoliberalism—the straw that broke the back of Lebanon’s education system. In Arar, K., Örücü, D., & Wilkinson, J. (Eds.), Neoliberalism and education systems in conflict: Exploring challenges across the globe. Abingdon, UK: Routledge.
- Arar, K., Örücü, D., & Mahfouz, J. (2020). A comparison of social justice leadership meaning and praxis: The interplay of unique social cultural contexts in Turkish, Palestinian, and Lebanese high needs schools. In Woods P.A. & Barnett, B. (Eds.), Educational Leadership for Social Justice and Improving High-Need schools: Findings from 10 Years of International Collaboration. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Levitan, J., Schussler, D., Mahfouz, J., Frank, J., Kohler, K., Broderick, P.C., Mitra, J., Oh, Y., Berrena, E., & Greenberg, M, (2018). Evaluating student cognitive and social-emotional growth during a high school mindfulness course using mixed-method design. SAGE Research Methods Cases. Newbury Park, CA: SAGE publishing.10.4135/9781526446428
- Mahfouz, J., Greenberg, M.T., & Rodriquez, A. (2019). Principal’s social and emotional competence: A key factor for creating schools. Edna Bennet Pierce Prevention Research Center, Pennsylvania State University. https://files.constantcontact.com/df591f85401/fcf51355-841d-4b20-8a39-3c9203ae9d90.pdf
- Jennings, P.A. & Mahfouz, J. (in press). The role of leaders in promoting mindfulness in schools. In The Routledge Encyclopedia of Education. Abingdon, UK: Routledge Education.
- Schussler, D., Frank, J., Wright, M., Lee, T. & Mahfouz, J. (2017). Using virtual roleplay modules to develop teacher candidates’ competence in communicating about bullying. In P. Resta & S. Smith (Eds.),Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 2243-2251). Austin, TX, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved October 11, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/177947.
- Greenberg, M.T., Mahfouz, J., Davis, M., & Turksma, C. (2019). Social emotional learning for principals: Strengthening leadership and wellbeing. (December 2019). Education Canada, 59(4), 18 – 21. Retrieved from https://www.edcan.ca/articles/sel-for-principals/?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=
- Farag, A., Becker, E., Orlowski, N., Cranston, L., & Mahfouz, J. (October 2019). How school leaders manage stress and stay focused. The Learning Professional. Oxford, OH: Learning Forward: The Professional Learning Association, 40 (5), 24 – 27. Retrieved from https://learningforward.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/2the-learning-professional-october2019.pdf